Raspberry BASIC

Author Topic: BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 version 1.29a released  (Read 1437 times)

Richard Russell

• View Profile
BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 version 1.29a released
« on: March 26, 2022, 10:59:22 PM »
I have released version 1.29a of BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 - the cross-platform programming language for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Raspberry Pi OS, Android, iOS and in-browser.  The changes in this version are as follows:
  • BASIC Interpreter / Run Time Engine

Added support for Serial I/O (e.g. EXT# returning the number of bytes waiting in a serial input buffer).

Fixed a minor graphics bug which could cause fill operations to fail if an odd-value relative coordinate was supplied.

• IDEs and Utilities

Updated searchin.bbc to avoid it being confused by an Acorn-format tokenised program.

Improved error reporting if SDLIDE.bbc fails to create a temporary file.

• Libraries

Optimised aagfxlib by calling SDL2 API functions by address rather than by name.

• Example Programs

Added conway.bbc (in examples/general), a version of Conway's Game of Life in which the calculations are performed by the GPU.

Added video.bbc (in examples/general) as a proof-of-principle demonstration of playing a video, albeit uncompressed and with no sound.
Important note for Android users: the Code Signing Certificate has been updated, and because the company from which I have previously obtained them has closed down the new certificate has a different ID.  You will need to uninstall BBC BASIC before you can install v1.29a; take care to backup (e.g. to a PC) anything you need in @usr$.

This version may be downloaded, for all the supported platforms, from the usual location.  The GitHub repository has been updated (used to build the MacOS, Raspberry Pi, Android, iOS, 64-bit Linux and in-browser editions, currently).